The Eastern Great Lakes Pediatric Consortium for Disaster Response (EGLPCDR) invites you to participate in a virtual pediatric tracking and family reunification exercise designed to demonstrate and test your hospital pediatric tracking and reunification plan.
What to Expect
The goal of this virtual TTX is to test your patient tracking and reunification plan in the event of an unanticipated pediatric surge event. Aside from a 30-minute hot wash at the end of the TTX, we are not planning an educational element on pediatric tracking and reunification planning. We will assume you have reviewed the preparation materials (see below).
The group will be presented with a scenario with patients who are en-route to your hospital. We will then break into hospital-specific breakout rooms to discuss your hospital’s approach. (Note: we will place single representatives into a breakout room together). Facilitators will be moving from room to room to help guide your discussion. We will plan to have hospitals summarize their discussions after each breakout session. At the end of the session, we will have a hot wash to discuss the exercise.
Who to Invite
At a minimum, the core team that creates or updates a hospital’s reunification plan should include representatives from hospital services who possess the necessary expertise and understand the capabilities of the hospital. These departments may include (if available):
Key Hospital Departments for Family Reunification Planning
- Family Medicine
- Child Life Services
- On-site Child Care
- Social Work
- Emergency Medicine
- Emergency Management
- Legal Counsel
Recommended Adjunct Hospital Departments for Family Reunification Planning
- Public Affairs / Media Relations
- Risk Management
- Psychiatry / Behavioral Health
- Health Information Management
- Front Desk / Greeter Staff
- Nutrition / Food Services
- Interpreter Services
- Patient Relations / Family Advisory Representative
- Please have a copy of your current tracking and reunification plan available for reference. It is alright if this does not currently mention pediatric patients, it will be a starting point.
- Familiarize yourself with the AAP Family Reunification Toolkit prior to the exercise.
- View an introduction of pediatric patient tracking and reunification here: https://youtu.be/gjlcpwm7pJw.
- ASPR Pediatric Disaster Care Centers of Excellence
- Eastern Great Lakes Pediatric Consortium for Disaster Response (EGLPCDR)
- Darkest Winter: Pediatric Disaster and Surge Response Virtual Exercise
- Advancing Pediatric Telehealth Capability Virtual Exercise
- Pediatric Patient Tracking & Family Reunification Virtual Tabletop Exercise
- Western Regional Alliance for Pediatric Emergency Management (WRAP-EM)
- ASPR TRACIE
April 27, 2021
12:00pm to 3:00pm EST