Hospital Based Care
Data from the 2013/2014 Pediatric Readiness Survey helped identify four major opportunities to improve the delivery of pediatric care in emergency departments:
- quality improvement plans integrating the needs of children were missing in 55% of responding facilities,
- children are not being weighed in kilograms in 37% of responding participant EDs putting children at risk for medication errors,
- 53% of responding EDs lack disaster plans that include children; and
- pediatric emergency care coordinators are missing frequently:
- physician coordinators are reported in only 47% of responding EDs and
- nurse coordinators present in 59% of responding EDs.