WebinarsAdvocacy Analytics Collaboratives Disaster Hospital Knowledge Management Prehospital Research State Partnerships Trauma Value-Based Care
PECC Workforce Development Collaborative: Informational Webinar
July 14, 2021
This 30-minute webinar gives an overview of the PWDC and includes Q&A.
To learn more about the collaborative and register, please visit our PECC Workforce Development Collaborative (PWDC) page.
This is EMS: Caring for our Children
May 20, 2021
In honor of Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Week 2021, “This is EMS: Caring for our Children” provides an overview of both the Pediatric Readiness in Emergency Medical Services Systems Policy Statement and Technical Report; reviews the EMS Agency Toolkit and Checklist; provids testimonials focusing on why it’s important for EMS agencies to be pediatric prepared; and highlights the Prehospital Pediatric Readiness Project. The event was a collaboration of the Emergency Medical Services for Children Program and the American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP).
“Pediatric Readiness: Every Child, Every Day” webinar
May 19, 2021 (EMSC Day)
In honor of Emergency Medical Services for Children (EMSC) Day 2021, “Pediatric Readiness: Every Child, Every Day” provides an overview of current efforts in pediatric readiness at multiple organizations, highlighting, in particular, the National Pediatric Readiness Project (NPRP) assessment. The event was a collaboration of EMSC, the American College of Emergency Physicians, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma, the Emergency Nurses Association, and the National Association of State EMS Officials. Featured speakers include leadership from collaborating organizations as well as Michael Warren, MD, MPH, FAAP, Associate Administrator, Maternal and Child Health, Health Resources and Services Administration.
Impacts of COVID-19 and Social and Health Disparities on the Delivery of Pediatric Emergency and Mental Health Care
August 19, 2020 (EMSC FAN Webinar Series)
Impacts of COVID-19 and Social & Health Disparities on the Delivery of Pediatric Emergency and Mental Health Care
Performance Report Technical Assistance
July 1, 2020
The recording of the Technical Assistance Webinar explains the purpose of the Annual Performance Report, the report cycle, and walks through the report.
EMSC State Partnership Carryover Technical Assistance Webinar
June 4, 2020
This webinar includes step-by-step guidance on how to complete and submit a Carryover Prior Approval Request to HRSA. Guidance was provide by the HRSA EMSC project officers and grants management specialists who oversee the EMSC State Partnership grant program.
The webinar recording is no longer available, click here for the PowerPoint presentation.
Cultural Implications of Screening for Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
May 21, 2020 (EMSC FAN Webinar Series)
The webinar features Ms. Nanfi Lubogo who serves as a Co-Executive Director for PATH Parent to Parent/ Family Voices of CT (PATH/FVCT), a statewide parent support network for families of children and youth with special health care needs. Ms. Lubogo presents on the cultural implications of screening for families from diverse backgrounds, the barriers faced by families and the role of healthcare providers.
Developing a Healthcare Coalition Pediatric Surge Annex
February 26, 2020
View the recording here (you will need to enter your name and email address prior to accessing the recording).
The 2019-2023 HPP Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) requires healthcare coalitions (HCCs) to develop a coalition-level pediatric annex that complements their base medical surge/trauma mass casualty response plans. This annex would improve regional capacity and capabilities to manage a surge of pediatric patients. This webinar supplements the “Pediatric Annex Planning” workshop convened at the 2019 National Healthcare Coalition Preparedness Conference, and features national experts discussing guidance, resources, and lessons learned to help HCCs develop a pediatric surge annex.
- Sarita Chung, MD, FAAP, Director of Disaster Preparedness, Division of Emergency Medicine, Children’s Hospital Boston; Member, American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) Council on Disaster Preparedness and Recovery Executive Committee (CoDPR)
- Deanna Dahl-Grove, MD, FAAP, Associate Professor, Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Rainbow Babies and Children’s Hospital; Member, AAP CoDPR Executive Committee
- John Hick, MD, Hennepin Healthcare and HHS ASPR
- Christopher Newton, MD, Associate Professor of Surgery, Division of Pediatric Surgery, Director of Trauma Care, UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital Oakland
What Health Care Providers Need to Know About 2019-Novel Coronavirus Webinar
February 18th, 2020
"What Health Care Providers Need to Know About 2019-Novel Coronavirus," brought to you by ENA, the American College of Emergency Physicians, the Association of American Medical Colleges, the CDC and the National Ebola Training and Education Center provides valuable information for health care providers on COVID-19. During this event, leading experts discussed the current state of the coronavirus and share identification, isolation, and treatment strategies for symptomatic patients.
- Sharon Vanairsdale DNP, APRN, ACNS-BC, NP-C, CEN, FAEN, FAAN
- Bruce Ribner MD, MPH; Aneesh Mehta, MD
- Kate Boulter, RN, BAN, MPH, and Alex Isakov, MD, MPH
EMSC 2019 Showcase
December 18, 2019 (EMSC FAN Webinar Series)
FAN Members share their advocacy work from 2019, including lessons learned, project success and tips to take forward to 2020.
The Future of Evidence-Based Guidelines in EMS
November 19, 2019
In 2019, several EMS organizations collaborated to publish evidence-based guidelines (EBG) for the EMS administration of naloxone, adding to the growing number of EBGs available to help EMS clinicians provide care based on the latest research and best practices endorsed by experts in the field. In recent years, EBGs for external hemorrhage control, prehospital pediatric seizure management and other topics have helped move the profession toward the evidence-based, people-centered approach described in EMS Agenda 2050. In this EMS Focus webinar, you'll hear from leaders involved in efforts to create prehospital EBGs and model protocols. In addition, panelists shared:
- How the naloxone EBG was developed, including what research was considered and why
- Suggestions for how to incorporate the naloxone EBG and others into protocols and practice at the State and local levels
- What moving toward an evidence-based practice means for the EMS profession—and what you can do to support the effort
- Christian Martin-Gill, MD, MPH, Chair, Prehospital Guidelines Consortium; Chief of EMS Division and Associate Professor of Emergency Medicine,
- David Niebuhr, MD, MPH, MSc, Medical Officer, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
- Kenneth Williams, MD, Medical Director, Rhode Island Center for EMS Max Sevareid, MPH, EMS Specialist, NHTSA Office of EMS
FAN 2019 All Grantee Meeting Debrief Webinar
September 9, 2019
FAN Members discuss the positives and negatives of the 2019 All Grantee Meeting.
The Future of EMS Education: Revising the EMS Education Standards
August 22, 2019; hosted by the NHTSA Office of EMS
The National EMS Education Standards, first published in 2009, set the foundation for initial education of EMS clinicians at the EMR, EMT, AEMT and paramedic levels. Now, those standards are being revised, and it's your turn to provide input.
In this webinar, you'll hear from leaders of the effort to update the education standards as they share details of the first draft, which will be released for public comment in August. They'll explain why the education standards are being updated, the process to do so and the members of the team behind the effort.
In addition, panelists shared:
- How the new EMS Education Standards will align with the recently released 2019 National EMS Scope of Practice Model
- The role of the EMS Education Standards and their impact on the profession
- Opportunities for you to share feedback and contribute to this important project
- Bryan Ericson, Chairman, NAEMSE, and Associate Professor, Emergency Medical Services Program, Tarrant County College
- Paul Rosenberger, EdD, Program Director, Section on EMS Continuing Education, Division of EMS, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
- Jon Krohmer, MD, Director, NHTSA Office of EMS
Optimizing EMS Destination Choice for Pediatric Patients
June 21, 2019
- Understand why and how pediatric care is regionalized and the effects on EMS systems
- Learn how undertriage, overtriage and secondary transport are sub-optimal for patients and EMS operations
- Review non-trauma pediatric conditions likely to require inpatient or specialty pediatric care
- Become familiar with a pilot pediatric destination tool which incorporates the available evidence base
Jennifer Anders, MD is a pediatric emergency medicine physician at Johns Hopkins Children's Center in Baltimore Maryland and serves as Maryland's associate medical director for pediatrics.
Jennifer Fishe, MD is a pediatric emergency medicine physician at the University of Florida - Jacksonville and the Associate Medical Director for Pediatrics for Nassau County Fire and Rescue Department.
Prehospital Care of Children: Review of Evidence-Based Guidelines
May 22, 2019 (EMSC Day)
As prehospital professionals, we want to make patient care decisions based upon the best evidence available to improve patient outcomes. In this webinar, we will review the prehospital pediatric evidence-based guidelines for the management of asthma, seizures, pain, and cardiac arrest.
- Kathleen Adelgais, MD MPH
- Katherine Remick, MD, FAAP, FACEP, FAEMS
- Manish I. Shah, MD, MS
View slides here.
Poster Tips for All-Grantee Conference
May 2, 2019
This webinar included tips and tools to create a great poster.
Child Abuse Screening
April 24, 2019
After this webinar, you should be able to:
- Recognize typical patterns of abusive cutaneous injury (burns and bruises)
- Recall elements of universal screening programs employed in emergency departments
- Dr. Kathleen Adelgais
- Dr. Daniel Lindberg
Check out the Recognizing Abuse Module to learn more.
Effective Use of Social Media from the FAN Perspective
April 16, 2019 (EMSC FAN webinar series)
This webinar features Dr. Padma Swamy who is a pediatrician who works at Baylor College of Medicine/Texas Children's Hospital. Dr. Swamy shared social media tips and tricks to assist FAN Representatives utilize social media platforms to promote the goals and mission of EMSC. We also had an update from the FAN Activities Planning Team regarding exciting upcoming FAN activities.
Prehospital Medication Dosing Errors
December 13, 2018
Dr. John Hoyle
FAN and SP Managers Working Together Effectively
December 11, 2018 (EMSC FAN Webinar Series)
The webinar includes a panel discussion where three great teams of FAN Representatives and their State Partnership Grantee Program Managers discuss successful criteria for working well together.
November 14, 2018
- Describe how prehospital recognition and treatment of sepsis may impact patient care in the ED
- Discuss how pediatric patients may be integrated into a prehospital care protocol for sepsis
- Dr. Kathleen Brown
- Dr. Lynn Babcock
Adolescent Mental Health Screening
September 13, 2018
Dr. Shilpa Patel, Dr. Jacqueline Grupp-Phelan, Dr. Nicolaus Glomb
New Guidelines in Pediatric Trauma
March 8, 2018
Dr. James Holmes, Dr. Nathan Kuppermann, and Dr. Julie Leonard
The presentation focused on:
- Identifying Children at Very Low Risk of Intra-Abdominal Injuries Undergoing Acute Intervention. Slides
- Head CT Prediction Rules in Children: Generating and Validating the Evidence, then Implementing into Practice. Slides: part 1, part 2 and part 3
- Update on the Emergency Management of Children at Risk for Cervical Spine Injury after Blunt Trauma. Slides