A digest of EMSC Program News and Activities
Issue #76 | Oct. 31, 2022
Featured resource: The EIIC Trauma Domain paper, “Establishing national stakeholder priorities for quality improvement in pediatric trauma care: Consensus results using a modified Delphi process,” underscored the importance of implementing minimum pediatric standards for injury care, frontline provider training, stabilization protocols, imaging guidelines, and local pediatric champions. Read more.
- Pediatric Education and Advocacy Kits: Agitation, Suicide, Pain
- ReadyKids/American Red Cross: “Prepare with Pedro” youth preparedness program
- Ready.gov Coping with Disaster
EMSC grantee resources
- State Partnership Program Manager Welcome Kit
- Southeast Texas Regional Advisory Council (SETRAC): Online Pediatric Emergency Care Coordinator (PECC) Workshops
- HRSA: Maternal and Infant Health Mapping Tool
- National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine report: Supporting Children with Disabilities: Lessons from the Pandemic
- The Violence Project: K-12 School Shooting Database
Upcoming events, conferences, deadlines:
- Second annual Midwest EMSC Pediatric Champion/PECC Symposium - Nov. 2 (Prehospital providers) and Nov. 3 (Hospital and ED providers)
- National EMS Advisory Council meeting - Nov. 2-3 (members of the public are welcome to attend the meeting virtually)
- National Conference on EMS - Nov. 3-5
- American Heart Association, AAP, and the Citizen CPR Foundation webinar: “AHA Virtual Town Hall: A Conversation about Racial and Ethnic Inequities in Pediatric Cardiac Arrest,” Nov. 10
- NAEMSE webinar: “A Toolkit’s Educational Resources to Increase Prehospital Pediatric Readiness for EMS Educators,” - Nov. 10
- FemInPEM - Nov. 11
- National Healthcare Coalition Preparedness Conference - Nov. 29 - Dec. 1
- ACS Trauma Quality Improvement Program (TQIP) Annual Conference - Dec. 11-13
- ED STOP Suicide QI Collaborative registration deadline - Jan. 13
- Save the date! ACS TQIP pediatric readiness webinar - Jan. 25
Honors & awards
- Brooke Lerner PhD, FAEMS, founding leader of the PECARN prehospital node, is being honored with the establishment of the E. Brooke Lerner Research Fund at the NAEMSP.
- Mary Fallat, MD, FACAS, FAAP, an EIIC Advisory Board member, a past EMSC Targeted Issues Grant principal investigator (PI), and a Pediatric Pandemic Network site PI, received the AAP Bartholome Award for Ethical Excellence.
- Mark X. Cicero, MD, FAAP, Targeted Issues Grant PI and domain co-lead within the Pediatric Pandemic Network, received the 2022 NAEMT-AAP/Handtevy Pediatric EMS Award.
- ACEP’s Scientific Assembly Course Proposal Form is open. The deadline to submit content is Nov. 11. Learn more.
- AAP is recruiting primary care clinicians and other health professionals in rural, frontier, and underserved areas who serve pediatric populations in those areas to join an eight-month ECHO on Rural Pediatrics: Anxiety and Depression. The deadline to register is Nov. 10. Learn more.
- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is soliciting applications for appointment to the National Emergency Medical Services Advisory Council (NEMSAC). Applications are due Nov. 10. Learn more.
- The New York State Alliance for the Prevention of Sexual Abuse and Association for the Treatment and Prevention of Sexual Abuse are calling for papers for their 2023 Annual Joint Conference, Working Together For A Safer Tomorrow. The deadline is Dec. 1. Learn more.
- Research Operations Associate - Baylor College of Medicine
Five headlines worth reading this month:
- As Hospitals Close Children’s Units, Where Does That Leave Lachlan? - New York Times, Oct. 11 (featuring pediatric readiness and Kate Remick, MD)
- What’s behind an increase in closures of pediatric units - PBS NewsHour, Oct. 15 (highlights 2018 pediatric readiness paper)
- An autistic teen needed mental health help. He spent weeks in an ER instead. - Washington Post, Oct. 20
- We May Have Only a Few Months to Prevent the Next Pandemic - New York Times, Oct. 24
- Is the US facing a potential 'tripledemic' of flu, RSV and COVID-19? - ABC News, Oct. 26
Subscribe to the EMSCPulse
Get the EMSCPulse Newsletter delivered to your inbox every month.