A digest of EMSC Program News and Activities
Issue #87 | Sept. 30, 2023
EMSC Out and About
The EMSC team has been spread ing the word about the importance of having a PECC in hospital and prehospital settings.
EMSC Innovation and Improvement Center staff Robin Goodman MSN, RN, CPEN, Lisa Gray MHA,RN, CPN, TCRN, and Michelle Moegling BSN, RN presented a session, a poster, and a special interest group at the Emergency Nurses Association Conference. At EMS World, Toni Gross, MD, MPH, FAAP, presented on Louisiana’s EMSC Targeted Issues grant, which is focused on supporting and developing pediatric emergency care coordinators (PECCs) in EMS agencies. Three PECCs participated and shared successes and challenges they have experienced.
With the winter season fast approaching, a pediatric viral surge is on many providers’ minds. The Pediatric Pandemic Network offers key resources to be prepared for the upcoming season.
- Pediatric Preparedness for the Winter Viral Surge
- Nirsevimab (Beyfortus): FAQs for Healthcare Professionals
- Empowering Parents and Providers: A Comprehensive Resource Guide for RSV Management with Nirsevimab
- WRAP-EM: Pediatric Surge Playbook
- AAP: Recommendations for Prevention and Control of Influenza in Children, 2023–2024
- APP: Principles of Child Health Care Financing
- AAP: Pediatric Disaster Preparedness and Response Topical Collection
- PPN: Prioritizing Pediatric Preparedness During National Preparedness Month
EMSC grantee resources:
Upcoming Events, Conferences, and Deadlines:
- Oct. 2 is National Child Health Day to recognize the importance of children’s health; access the 2023 toolkit
- Oct. 4 is TEN-4 Day to help raise awareness about a tool for identifying child abuse; access a promotional package
- Global Response Webinar: Pediatric Death Declaration and Bereavement - Oct. 5 at 1 pm CT
- ACEP Scientific Assembly - Oct. 9-12
- HHS, ASPR TRACIE, and ASPR’s Pediatric Disaster Care Centers of Excellence: Lessons Learned from the Pediatric Tripledemic: Systems, Staff, Space, and Supplies - Oct. 17 at 1 pm ET
- AAP National Conference - Oct. 20-24
- ACS Clinical Congress 2023 - Oct 22-25
- WRAP-EM Webinar- Kids in Crisis – Mental Health & Emergency Departments - Nov. 8 at 8am PT
- ACS TQIP conference - Dec. 1-3
- Pediatric Academic Societies 2024 - May 2-6
- NASEMSO Annual Meeting 2024 - May 12-16
- EMSC has launched its first pediatric emergency care coordinator (PECC) learning module: you are invited to view the module and provide feedback.
- Pediatric Academic Societies 2024 abstract submission deadline is Nov. 1
Honors and awards:
- Congratulations to Nancy McGrath RN, MSN, CPNP-AC/PC, this year's ENA Pediatric Readiness Improvement Awardee! Nancy is a subject matter expert with EIIC, a member of the CA EMSC Technical Advisory Committee, and a pioneer in pediatric readiness work.
- Congratulations to Maryland EMSC Program Director Cynthia Wright-Johnson, MSN, RN, recipient of the 2023 John C. Spiker, Sr., Excellence in Life Safety Educator of the Year Award.
- Hearing Assessment in Infants, Children, and Adolescents: Recommendations Beyond Neonatal Screening - AAP Clinical Report, Aug, 28
- Pediatric Hospitalizations at Rural and Urban Teaching and Nonteaching Hospitals in the US, 2009-2019 - JAMA Network Open, Sept. 5
- Establishing a Permanent Food Pantry in a Pediatric Emergency Department - Pediatrics, Sept. 12
- Pediatric Cervical Spine Injury Following Blunt Trauma in Children Younger Than 3 Years: The PEDSPINE II Study - JAMA Surgery, Sept. 13
- Pediatric vs Adult or Mixed Trauma Centers in Children Admitted to Hospitals Following TraumaA Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis - JAMA Network Open, Sept. 18
- How learning the truth about chaos theory has helped me as an inpatient child psychologist - Stat News, Aug. 30
- Study: Health Equity an Important Aspect of Improving Quality of Care Provided to Children in Emergency Departments - ReachMD, Sept. 9, 2023 (also covered in Chief Healthcare Executive; Healio; and Physicians Weekly)
- What We Know About Children and Opioids - The New York Times, Sept. 16
- Emergency Pediatric Readiness Improves Despite Challenges - Medscape, Sept. 19, 2023
- Kids' ER Visits for Mental Health Crises Rise When School Term Begins - HealthDay, Sept. 22