Grant Writing Resources
Curated resources to help you write and complete a grant application
We have compiled resources to help you navigate the various moving parts of compiling a successful grant application.
Check back frequently, as we will be adding additional resources!
Included on this page:
- Recorded presentation and PPT from EDC's Grant Writing Resources TechTalk
- Example grant sections
- Resources for writing SMART(IE) goals
- Other grant-related resources
- Materials from a 2017 NEDARC grant writing workshop
For additional guidance on the EMSC State Partnership grant visit Grants.gov. Information includes:
- Technical assistance webinar
Last updated: September 15, 2022
EDC Grant Writing Resources TechTalk (August 2022)
Recording & PowerPoint presentation from the August 25, 2022 TechTalk.
Writing SMART/IE Goals
Resources to help you write SMARTIE goals.
Specific | Measurable | Achievable Realistic | Time-bound | Inclusive | Equitable
- Writing SMART Goals/Objectives Description of SMART goals/objectives with examples.
- SMARTIE Goals Worksheets/Templates
Principles of Strategic Proposal Development
These materials are from an EMSC Data Center (previously NEDARC) grant writing online training series.
Using EMSC specific examples, four universal grant writing topics are covered:
Funding Sources & Requirements
Identifying funding sources and becoming familiar with the grant requirements.
Getting Ready to Write your Proposal
Steps and tips for getting ready to write your grant proposal.
Diving into the Project Narrative
Understanding the project narrative section.
- Grant Application Page Counter Track proposal section page totals to make sure you don't go over the page limit
- Clear Writing Activity Help to jump start your writing and improve your writing skills
- Superfluous Wording and Their Substitutes. List of common superfluous expressions with suggested substitutes
- Words that Commonly Need Correction. List of commonly misused words and proper usage
- Outlining Function in Word (video). Learn how to use Word's outlining function, which will help you make sure you cover all required sections & review criteria
- Inserting and Formatting Tables in Word (video). Learn how to do advanced table formatting in Word
Additional Resources and Support
Specialized tools to assist in the process of grant writing, to include worksheets, templates, and timelines to help grant writing teams stay on track.
Recorded Tips from EMSC Program Managers
The Process & Federal Guidance
- The Grant Application Process for Federal Funding Infographic describing the federal grant application process starting with the federal agency posting a funding opportunity through the grant award
- HRSA SF-424 Application Guide
Timelines & Checklists
- AOR and Project Director Contact Timeline Handout Guidance for creating a proposal timeline
- Proposal Task Timeline Template Identify all of the possible tasks and deadlines for your grant proposal
Team & Proposal Development
- Developing Your Grant Writing Team Worksheet Identify others to help you write your grant proposal
- Grant Application Page Counter Track proposal section page totals to make sure you don't go over the page limit.
- Developing Your EMSC State Partnership Grant (EDC 2012) Step-by-step instructions for assembling, outlining, and writing the Project Narrative