PECC Workforce Development Collaborative now enrolling
- Published April 27, 2021
The Pediatric Emergency Care Coordinator (PECC) Workforce Development Collaborative (PWDC) is enrolling participants now through August 1, 2021. The mission of this national collaborative, led by the Emergency Medical Services for Children Innovation and Improvement Center (EIIC), is to support healthcare professionals working in prehospital and emergency department systems to become effective pediatric champions (also known as PECCs).
The program, which will run from September 2021 through June 2022, is open to anyone with an interest in ensuring ill and injured children receive high-quality care in their community. Pediatric-specific training or experience is not required, and participants do not need to be involved in direct patient care. The time commitment is approximately three hours each month. Continuing education and Maintenance of Certification Part 4 credits will be available at no cost for all healthcare professionals.
The collaborative will offer four customized tracks:
- EMS practitioners;
- Hospital/ED-based nurses and healthcare professionals;
- Hospital/ED-based physicians and advanced practice providers; and
- EMSC State Partnership program managers.
The collaborative will occur in two parts. In the first part, participants will receive monthly education, including customized guides highlighting crucial resources and best practices; strategies to help identify gaps and opportunities; and access to experts in pediatric emergency care.
The second half of the PWDC will be optional (required for Maintenance of Certification part 4 credit). Participants will work with peers and expert coaches to develop an improvement plan targeting one of four major areas:
- Enhancing the role of the PECC;
- Ensuring availability of pediatric equipment, supplies, and medications;
- Implementing a program to help maintain pediatric competencies among staff; or
- Developing a local policy, pathway, or clinical decision support tool.
To learn more and enroll in the PWDC, visit the registration page.