Family Advisory Network (FAN) Mail!
Tips to Keep your Kids Safe and Healthy While Traveling
The holidays are upon us and for many that means traveling to visit family and friends. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) provides these tips as precautions to be sure your children will be safe and healthy.
- Remember that the homes you visit may not be childproofed. Keep an eye out for danger spots like unlocked cabinets, unattended purses, accessible cleaning or laundry products, stairways, or hot radiators.
- Keep a list with important phone numbers you or a babysitter are likely to need in case of an emergency. Include the police and fire department, your pediatrician and the national Poison Help Line, 1-800-222-1222. Laminating the list will prevent it from being torn or damaged by accidental spills.
- Always make sure your child rides in an appropriate car seat, booster seat, or seat belt. In cold weather, children in car safety seats should wear thin layers with a blanket over the top of the harness straps if needed, not a thick coat or snowsuit.
- Adults should buckle up too, and drivers should never be under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Traveling, visiting family members, getting presents, shopping, and other holiday events can all increase your child's stress levels. Try to stick to your child's usual routines, including sleep schedules and timing of naps, to help you and your child enjoy the holidays and reduce stress.
For more information and questions to FAQ about flying with a baby for the first time click here for more tips from the AAP.
FAN Mail Celebrates its ONE YEAR Anniversary – And we want your Feedback!
The November 2019 edition of Pulse, marked the one year anniversary since we started including Family Advocate Network (FAN) specific content section of the EMSC Pulse. This section was meant to provide helpful tips and discussion about topics important to families and their advocates – and hopefully some fun stuff along the way too! To mark this one year anniversary, we would like to get YOUR feedback. Take a few minutes to complete this, quick survey and let us know what you think!
What is FAN Mail?
In each issue of the EMSC Pulse, you will find a "FAN Mail" section with information specific to our Family Advisory Network (FAN) members. Each issue will contain announcements, links to resources and highlights of the work being accomplished by FAN members across the country.
We'd like to see you!
If you have pictures or content you wish to share on EIIC social media, email Cassidy Penn at the EIIC.