Family Advisory Network (FAN) Mail!
Family Voices Resource eBlast – Sharing Resources for Families of Children with Special Healthcare Needs
This edition of eBlast shares a small taste of ideas, tools, and places that will hopefully ignite ways to spend family time in the dirt together this summer. Click here to subscribe to Resource Eblasts or other Family Voices communications!
Magic of Sensory Gardens
A sensory garden is a magical place where anyone can be captivated, and challenges of all kinds (disability, mental health, stress, age, etc.) disappear. It is a uniquely designed garden that appeals to our sense of taste, smell, sound, sight, and touch. If you cannot see, you can touch. If you cannot hear, you can smell. If you cannot taste, you can see. Peruse some of the websites below for the myriad of ways sensory gardens can provide help, comfort, joy, and health benefits.
- Gardens for the Senses
- How to Design a Sensory Garden for the Blind or Visually Impaired
- Children on the Spectrum Benefit from Sensory Gardens
Where to start if you don't have a green thumb? How do you ensure that each family member, regardless of age and ability, can be involved in the ideas, planning, creation, and enjoyment? Here are some ideas to get you started!
- Designing a Sensory Garden
- Sensory Gardening with Kids
- Early Introductions to Sensory Gardens: Infants and Toddlers
Click here to view the full Resource eBlast edition with resources for adapting existing gardens and more.
Special FAN Page!
Be sure to check out the new and improved, designated Family Advisory Network page on the website! There you will find a brief overview of our FAN group along with a video capturing the compelling stories of some FAN representatives. The site also features:
- A resource page highlighting items that may be of benefit for FAN representatives, including topics like policy, forms, social media assistance, and more.
- A members list with emails for contacting other FAN representatives.
- Finally, the biggest addition is the members only page. This password protected addition will help highlight each FAN representative with a profile that will include a picture, fun facts, why they are a FAN member, and more. We hope this page will provide opportunities to get to know FAN representatives from nearby states and across the country with the hope of fostering more networking and interaction. Be sure to check it out before the All Grantee Meeting!
If you are a FAN member and have not filled out the questionnaire for the members only page, please do so here. Contact Margaret Codispoti at email@example.com with suggestions or feedback for the FAN page