New resources on child abuse
- Published October 31, 2023
One in four children in the United States are abused or neglected, and 18% of these children experience physical abuse.
EMSC’s newest Pediatric Education and Advocacy Kit (PEAK) on child abuse was developed to help hospital and prehospital practitioners, in partnership with patients and families, identify and manage children and youth with suspected physical abuse.
The kit features pragmatic, synthesized, multidisciplinary educational resources. It includes:
- A new bottom-line recommendations practice guideline, developed in collaboration with Canada’s Translating Emergency Knowledge for Kids
- A screening tool infographic and app from Lurie Children’s
- Podcasts from EM Pulse on identifying abuse; communicating about abuse; and navigating bias
- An interactive learning module from EMSC Colorado
- A simulation toolkit from Simbox
- Prevention resources for parents and families
More resources will be added soon, including a prehospital learning module. All resources are free and open access. View the resources here.