NEMSQA Pediatric Measures
(Quality Improvement/Process Improvement)
In August 2019, the NEMSQA Measure Development Committee and Board of Trustees approved eleven measures, including three pediatric-specific measures. These measures were reviewed and re-specified from their original release in the EMS Compass program. Using NEMSQA’s Measure Development Process, the measures went through rigorous research, specification, and testing phases. The testing phase included a public comment period.
It is not required that an agency use all measures in the measure set. Agencies and EMS professionals are encouraged to choose measures most meaningful to their patient population and implement those measures to improve performance and patient care. Data should be collected for an initial baseline period and results used to develop meaningful interventions to improve quality of care.
The measures have been re-specified and approved for inclusion in the National EMS Quality Measure Set (NEMSQMS). Resources pertaining to the three pediatric measures are included in this section. Click "Read More" below to view additional resources developed to assist with measure use and implementation.
- Measure Specification Table: A quick-reference table that includes broad-view measure specifications (i.e., numerator and denominator criteria) for each measure.
- Measure Worksheets: Detailed reference sheets for each measure, which include specifications, clinical guidelines, and rationale.
- Measure Worksheets with NEMSIS Pseudocode: Measure worksheets with guidance for mapping measures/data to the National Emergency Medical Services Information System (NEMSIS) registry.
- Clinical Quality Measure Flows: Graphical flowcharts demonstrating measure logic and the data collection process for each measure.
- Project Summary with Measure Narratives: An overview of the EMS Compass 2.0 project and narratives for each measure, which include systems implications.
- Frequently Asked Questions: Answers to commonly asked questions.
- Change Log: A reference table that documents changes made during the re-specification project. This table can be helpful for entities that were using the original EMS Compass 2.0 measures.
- Fact Sheet: An info page explaining why agencies and systems should migrate from EMS Compass legacy/candidate measures to the National EMS Quality Measure Set.